This has been a long time coming.
Long time readers might recall that I took a screenprinting class at The University of the Arts way back in 2009. This class was taught by Greg Pizzoli, and got me all fired up to do a lot of this kind of thing. Class ended, Everything Goes began, the kids turned into time-sucking teenagers, I hit a creative funk, new books came along, Tinyville Town begun… and I never got around to getting this together. In the meantime, I bought a crappy old exposure unit that sat in my studio here collecting dust for a year before I gave it away to a punk band, my box of Speedball inks waited patiently on my shelf, and I kept telling myself that I'd get back to this, eventually.
At the end of last year, I invested some bucks into a nice new Ryonet exposure unit and a bunch of appropriate chemicals (screen reclaimer, ink wash, emulsion, and some other stuff). Six months later, I began to worry that this was going to sit here forever, as well.
Then, two weeks ago, my friend Michael stopped by for lunch. Michael is pretty handy and has kind of a "just get it done" attitude, so I decided to hold him hostage for the afternoon and see if he'd spend some time helping me put my printing table together. I had an enormous piece of plywood with a couple of hinges screwed down. All I needed to do, I thought, was just cut the thing down to size. We did this, but we didn't stop there. We re-fastened the hinges with bolts rather than screws. We even decided to cover the plywood with some laminate I'd bought a couple of years ago but never got around to gluing down. In two hours, the table was done and I was inspired.
It only takes that first domino to fall, right? In the next two weeks, I built a screen-drying box, covered the closet window to make that room the dark room. I ordered some nice industrial legs for one of my tables and with my kids' help I put that thing together. Then, earlier this week, my daughter and I coated a couple of screens with emulsion and ran step-tests with the exposure unit. Once I knew that two minutes and fifteen seconds was the magic number, I burned a screen yesterday afternoon and was beside myself when it washed out perfectly. That meant that today was printing day.
The illustration is one I made a few years ago that I always thought would be a good print. This was playing it safe, today, as it's merely one-color on colored paper. I had a nice purple ink from the class back in 2009, and I'd ordered some Lemon Drop 100lb cover from French Paper. The image isn't exactly child-friendly, but future prints will be, at times.
The print run is an edition of 25, ten of which I'm selling in my Etsy store. The others I'm saving, and giving a few away as gifts to some people who have inspired this stuff.