This is a little late. But better that than the never other, right?
Screen printing class wrapped up back on December 8. For my last project I printed a four-color race car inspired by the collages I made back last January. I'd been working on the art for this for a while and knew it was going to be a real bear of a project. The bat-boy and the robots were just sitting there in my head and were really easy to conceive and make. The race car was going to be more difficult and more complicated.
I'm just going to post a bunch of pictures here of sketches and stopped starts, and then the final print, with captions explaining what's going on.
This is the line-drawing I made as the basis for the digital separations. It gets down the basic shape of the car. Even though I know that the final printed version will look quite different from what I'm drawing, it's for some reason important to me to have an actual finished drawing rather than merely a series of pieces that I'll put together digitally. Typically there are little details in the drawing that I would not have planned for otherwise.
I played around with channels in Photoshop, just to begin wrapping my head around four colors and how they would interact with each other. The screen print would be made with four colors, but when one color overlaps another color a new color is made. For instance, when the red overlaps the blue you get purple...
Using a pencil sketch I made earlier, I added colors hoping to get an idea of where I was going with this. Sometimes I know exactly what I want something I'm making to look like, and sometimes it's more of an adventure. When I'm working with a process or medium I'm less familiar with, adventure reigns supreme.
Using the line drawing I created a version in Photoshop that looked more suitable for printing. Few, if any, outlines, flat colors... I didn't like the way the driver in the line drawing looked so I made a new one. I knew I wanted to make this car with some kind of French theme. Each of my drivers has his or her own back-story, and I thought a French Nascar racer would have a funny one. The name of the driver on the door comes from the fact that the New Year's Eve is St Sylvestre's day in France.
This is another version of the above image. The first one I made to look a lot like the collages I made earlier in the year. This one I used a solid yellow background which I think works much better for this print. I planned to have that big voice balloon but abandoned it later
I was still having trouble getting the details of this car right the week I had to start printing it. I'd been creating all my comps in Photoshop, but wasn't happy with where a lot of it was going. I tried opening up Illustrator, which I almost never use in my normal illustration work, and began putting colors and shapes down. The big benefit here was getting the numerals and the shape of the flame decal down.
To explain the idea of separations and the print process a little more, this is the above image in Illustrator split into two. The one on the left represents the yellow and green colors, the one on the right represents the reddish-orange and the blue. You can see where the reddish-orange and the blue overlap a darker color is produced.
This is the final color comp for the print. It was from this high-resolution Photoshop file that I printed my four separations on transparent film using my ink-jet printer, then used those to burn the screens.
This is the print after two colors are down.
The final cut print.
I'm selling the print on Etsy for $30.
Since the class ended, I've built a table-top with clamps and taken delivery on a bunch of other pieces of equipment necessary for printing in my own studio. I plan to print up cards and posters, for starters. That being said, if you've got something like a band or a festival or a show of some kind and you want a poster to promote it, get in touch. Here are some pictures of the studio and the holiday cards I printed therein.
Here are all six race cars. These will be for sale at the Main Line Art Center's children's book fair this Sunday, Feb 8. I'll be there with several other authors and illustrators. At 1:30 I'll be giving a 15-minute presentation talking about my illustrations and inspiration. Hope you can make it.
Whatever of these race cars that doesn't sell there will be going on my Etsy page on Monday. I plan to do a lot more of these, as well as some monsters, robots, aliens, trucks, etc.
I have a set on Flickr that shows these cars in the works.
I've completed the six collage race cars I've been working on for the last couple of weeks. These are all for The Main Line Art Center's Children's Book Fair this Sunday, February 8. I'll post a picture of all six in the next day or two, or you can see them all here.
These are collage/paintings, made with magazines, the yellow pages, various papers, and acrylic paint on 10 x 10 inch plywood. They'll be for sale at the show, but I've yet to settle on a price.
I've written this before, but I haven't enjoyed making stuff this much in a long time. I hope to make more of these, and I hope to find ways of incorporating this technique in my books and illustrations.
SHe may be cute, but don't let that fool you. She will gladly blow your doors off and put you into the wall.
Sacha suggested that one of the race cars needs to be driven by a lady driver. Here she is. Materials used: acrylic and part of a GapKids ad on yellow pages.
Finished two more of the race cars. Each one is closer to what I had in my old head when I conceived of these things. I'm spending a bit more time planning them, and being a little tighter with the craft part of it.
I've two more to do for the show on Feb 8, and then I'll see where to go next.
You can see how these are made on my Flickr page here.
Two down, four to go.
I added some logos and stickers that I made with a laser printer on this one. The driver is from the Yellow Pages. Stay tuned.